Monday, February 14, 2011

I finally succumbed to the digital siren

I've always followed my own clock and so it should surprise no one that it took me more than several years AFTER the blog craze to jump in and begin my own.  But it may be more a function of having to find somewhere to post my digital photos from the camera I just purchased in January.


For those of you used to receiving copies of my old-school film photos (with handwritten captions/sometimes short stories on the back), do not worry.  I still have my trusty Canon 35mm and plentiful stock of Fuji film (RIP Kodachrome). And with my recent acquisition of dozens of photos from Mom's shoeboxes, you can be sure of random surprises in the mail for months, maybe years to come.


But I digress. This blog's birth has come about for many reasons, none of which I want to share right now.  The siren's song is strong, but I'm more stubborn.  So what can you expect to read here?  The only consistency woven throughout each entry will be the entry's relation to books --- author recommendations, literacy, library, book reviews, publishing, bookmaking (not as in betting), book stores, reading, and reading and comprehending --- and how all this might lead to income opportunities for moi.


So check back often; comment as you see fit; and support your local library.


Here's the photo of the library that opened the world to me(re-located in 1973):



3 comments:

  1. Cheers, tia! Welcome to the blogosphere... Love the look of your blog, the slant towards lit, and the photos. I would love to read your review of "Harriet the Spy" too. I am anxiously awaiting your visit to one of our www.aloudla.org programs. Love, tu sobrina favorita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, does this picture bring back memories for me!
    Love what you have started here, TFJ, and look forward to continuing to read it. Also like the way you never gave up on 'favorite'.
    Should I start checking the mail for those pictures?!
    ...from another favorite

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow, ditto on how the Fullerton Library picture brings back not only visual but olfactory memories---yeah, does anyone "remember" the delicious smell of "eau de" old, wonderful building combined with books new and old?! What a treat!

    Also, I feel like you've left me all alone in the old-school camera world. You bought a digital?! You're leaving me with little excuse not to do likewise--ugh!

    ReplyDelete