Sunday, February 27, 2011

Based on the Book: A nod to Oscar night

Whether it's the current slate of actors, the subject matter of the nominated movies or my age (!), tonight's 83rd Oscar broadcast has only focussed my attention on just how many books I think were successfully made into movies:

*Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
This classic film was the only one that compelled me to read the book after seeing the movie.  In other cases, I re-read the book to savor again the emotions so masterfully brought to life from the page. Gone with the Wind falls into both categories as I've lost count the number of times I've both seen the film and read the book.  Neither ever gets old.

*About a Boy by Nick Hornby

*The Shining by Stephen King
I started reading this book at 3 in the afternoon and finished at 1 a.m. the next morning; kept a small light on and didn't sleep a wink.  When the film came out months later, I saw it in the evening and couldn't sleep until the next afternoon.

*Gone Baby Gone by Dennis Lehane

*Harry Potter books by J.K. Rowling
More print and airspace has been given to this contemporary author and her books than Shakespeare and Dickens combined (no, I didn't fact-check that), but I think it's worth stating that both her books and films have done more for reluctant readers, bookstore sales and library attendance than any other.  I have all seven books, have read some of them multiple times and look forward to seeing the final film this summer.

*The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
I read the book on recommendation from a friend's teen-aged son.  It was between publication of the Harry Potter books and this young man was of the opinion Pullman was both a better writer and storyteller (Is there a difference?  Look for more on that in a future blog entry).  I'm still not sure what it was about this book that stayed with me, but whatever it was I couldn't take a chance and have it destroyed by seeing the film version with Nicole Kidman.  By the way, The Golden Compass is the first of a trilogy by Pullman and I've only read the first one, again, because of some reason I can't explain that wants to keep this experience in suspended animation, no pun intended.

*The Ghost Writer by Robert Harris
Another flipped situation:  I saw this movie twice, but haven't read the book.  I want to read the book, but the movie was so brilliantly acted and atmospheric, I'm of the belief the book can't match up. Who would have ever thought I'd put that in print?

These are my nominations; which are yours?

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm: To Kill a Mockingbird, Pride and Prejudice, Romeo and Juliet (movie circa 1969), Mary Poppins and Bambi!!!!

    ReplyDelete