Tuesday, February 22, 2011

How do you "read"?

An article in today's New York Times confirms what a missionary, Frank Laubach, learned long ago in developing his own method to ("Each One Teach One") to teach people how to read and write in their own language:

"Brain's 'Visual' Reading Center Isn't Picky About Vision"

My own experience as a Laubach tutor opened many doors into not only how people learn to read (aurally, tactically [this was a revelation!] and visually) but into many cultures' traditions regarding literacy and literature.  Unfortunately, it also opened my eyes to the numbers of students graduating from high school (I had three teenaged-tutees trying to pass the G.E.D., complete job applications and/or vocational tests) at a fourth-grade reading level, at best.

I now know this is where my mantra, "Read and Comprehend" had its origin as well as my daily gratitude for my reading and English teachers throughout the years:

*Mom and Dad: I was enrolled in my first book club (in those days, "book club" meant receiving a book via snail mail and reading it on your own) and received a Dr. Seuss book every couple of months as my birthday present from Dad at age 7.  Mom took me to the library almost every Saturday until she could delegate the task to one of my recently-licensed siblings.

*Sr. Ann Bernard:  first-grade teacher who further-instilled a love of reading via the "Read to the Moon" race

*Dolores Hitchens:  second-grade teacher who began my life-long love of mysteries and thrillers and who was a mystery author herself.

*Mrs. Sweringen:  7th-grade English and literature teacher who introduced me to the classics.  I apologize to her right here as I know I misspelled her name.

*Mrs. Lord:  parent of 5th-grade classmate and substitute teacher who gave me my first atlas and started my world-wide traveling . . . in my head . . . until I could actually obtain a passport and travel in reality.

*Sr. Anne Lynch:  high-school English and literature teacher to whom I'm forever indebted for taking my "tabula rasa" and gently forcing it to understand (and enjoy!) Shakespeare.

*Mrs. Virginia Schlenk:  She furthered my comprehension and usage of the English language and gave me old-school research tips I use to this day.

*Lew Riley: college writing professor who drilled "short and sweet" tops "long and labored."

*Bill Puzo:  college geography professor who sparked my love of travel, travel reading and reading while traveling.

2 comments:

  1. LOVED reading this, Auntie TFJ. You may have inspired me to write up a similar post when my comps are over. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re comment above: I almost thought I WAS reading an entry written by Miss Rachel. There are some uncanny similarities, in my opinion, in how you were each affected by people who fostered a love for reading and writing and traveling.

    I remember each and every one of the people above, maybe with the exception of Bill Puzo, although his name sounds familiar--how can that be? I definitely remember Lew Riley's name, but again, can't imagine why. Perhaps you spoke lovingly of him within my earshot; I'm just not sure.

    I enjoyed reading this love story! And you did spell Mrs. Sweringen's name correctly.

    ReplyDelete