Sunday, July 10, 2011

Old School Meets High Tech: Hand-Bound iPad cases

I have a special fondness for the story that appeared recently in my local paper, accompanied by the following photo:


The case photo sits atop a photo album I hand-bound.
Given my recent experience with technology (see previous post), it was heart-warming to see that the fine art of hand-book binding is experiencing a resurgence due to the astronomical sales of the epitome of high-tech:  iPad2s.  For the full story, go here.


Moreover, it renewed my belief that working with my hands in this elemental way is a meditation in itself.  And inspired me to finish my photo album with paper purchased on my first trip to India (and to be filled with photos from that same trip) almost nine years ago.


The book cloth is not from India, but from my bookbinding teacher's supply.

Perhaps the album will be filled with the actual photos before another nine years pass by.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, yeah, gotta get those photos in the book! I've always treated the task of doing so comparable to writing out bills, and 40+ filled photo albums later, can say that it has always worked. :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. 40+ filled photo albums! Now that's a pictorial history; thanks for the motivation, ":) )"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely even w/o the photos! ~jm

    ReplyDelete