Thursday, July 16, 2015

Sue Grafton on book clubs and readers' guides

Sue Grafton's latest X is released on August 25.  In Sunday's (7/19/2015) The New York Times'  Book Review she sums up exactly how I feel about book clubs and reader's guides:

Do you belong to a book club?
I can’t stand the idea of joining a book club, because I don’t want others dictating my reading matter. Reading is a cherished passion, and the decision about what to read is strictly my own. Also, just frankly, while we’re on the subject, what the heck is the point of those study guides at the end of so many novels? Are publishers assuming we’re so dimwitted that we can’t arrive at our literary judgments without the benefit of a list of muddle-headed grade-school questions? Give us some credit here.

No comments:

Post a Comment